The North Carolina Roadrunners Club (NCRC) presents the:
16th Annual NCRC Classic Half-Marathon & 10K Races
(formerly known as the NCRC Invitational Half Marathon & 10K Races)
Sunday May 18th, 2014
3001 Weston Parkway
2010 RRCA Road Race of the Year
2012 RRCA National Championship 10K
2011 RRCA Southern Region Championship Half-Marathon
2013 & 2008 RRCA State Championship Half-Marathon
The NCRC Classic Half-Marathon & 10K Races (formerly known as the NCRC Invitational Half Marathon and 10K) are now in their 16th year and considered to be some of the Triangle area’s premier distance races including 2013 RRCA State Championship Half Marathon, 2012 RRCA National Championship Half-Marathon, the 2011 RRCA Southern Region Championship Half-Marathon distinctions, 2010 RRCA Road Race of the Year, and numerous other RRCA STATE CHAMPIONSHIP events for North Carolina.
This year’s Half Marathon is part of the Second Empire Grand Prix Race Series and host some of the area’s best competitive runners (don’t let that discourage those not involved in the SEGP!!!).
Location: The race uses roads, trails and greenways of Cary and of Umstead State Park.
The race will start on Weston Parkway near 3001 Weston Parkway and will finish in the parking lot nearby.
Parking – Parking will be available in the bandwidth.com parking lot and in the adjacent Kimley-Horn parking lot (diagram) along with the possiblity of several other nearby lots.
Courses: Both the 10K and half-marathon are USATF certified “out-and-back” courses that start on paved road, transition through paved greenway (Cary’s Black Creek Greenway) and crushed-gravel, hard-packed bridle trails of Umstead State Park, and finish on pavement. The courses officially close at 10:00 a.m.
Course Map (click to enlarge):
Race logistics maps (PDF)
Water stations: Water and Gatorade® will be available on the entire course. There are water stations serving both directions along the courses:
- Water station #1 on Black Creek Greenway before the entrance to Umstead State Park.
- Water station #2 in Umstead State Park at Mid-Gate just past the airport overlook.
- Water station #3 in Umstead State Park at the Graylyn Trail – Reedy Creek Trail intersection.
- Water station #4 on South Turkey Creek Trail approx. 0.4 mie after the Trenton Road gate.
Trash cans will be located near the water stations. Remember that we guests of the park. Please help us keep the park clean by dropping any trash in (or at least near) them.
Water stops shown are approximations and subject to change based on accessibility issues inside Umstead State Park. Race staff will do everything possible to ensure adequate aid is available for all participants, though runners advised to supplement with carried aid as needed.
- Triangle American Red Cross personnel will be stationed near the finish line and at WaterStation #1 near the entrance to Umstead State Park. We will also have Wake EMS bike teams on the course. If you are injuredor otherwise need medical assistance, please ask another runner to notify either the course supervisor or the roving bike teams.
- Umstead State Park remains open to all users during our race. So, be aware and be courteous to other users. Horseback riders have priority on bridge crossings but usually allow runners to cross first.
- Because of the limited width of the Greenway and Park trails we ask that runners not be accompaniedby bicyclists. The extra traffic only increases the possibility of an accidental collision.
- No type of jog stroller or animal escort is permitted.
- The course closes at 10:00 a.m. Any runners still on the course will not be scored.
- Although most of the course is closed to vehicles during the race, there is always a potential for a car to enter the course from a driveway. Please be alert of your surroundings..
Timing: . Split-timers or clocks will NOT be posted along the course.
Race results will be posted after the race and also at www.ncroadrunners.org.